THE SHELTER BASICS – WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
First and foremost, you should understand that this is a Christian ministry. All of the workers that you meet at the shelter are volunteers that are doing this in Christ’s name because they love you. We don’t have a lot of rules, but those we do have are in place for the good of everyone.
THE SHELTER BASICS
- Shelter guests must fill out completely and sign the intake form before being allowed to stay. We will request proof of ID and conduct a police background check. If one has any wants, open warrants, or is a registered sex offender, he will not be able to participate.
- The doors to the shelter will open at 6:00PM (5:00PM on Sundays to unload trailer). Open check-in is between 6:00 – 9:00 PM. After 9:00 PM, a police escort will be required to enter the shelter. Once guests are checked in, they must remain in the designated areas of the premises. No coming and going.
- No smoking, weapons, alcohol or drugs are permitted at any time. There may be a smoking area just outside the building, if the church permits. This will remain available until 9:00 PM, when the doors are locked.
- We have a strict “NO ALCOHOL” policy. This policy will be read to you separately during the intake process. You will be asked to sign stating you understand the policy.
- Dinner will be served at about 6:45 PM. Those who would like to eat that evening are asked to be in by that time. We will begin the evening meal with a short prayer. Everyone, whether eating or not, are asked to participate.
- No violent, threatening behavior, fighting or arguments will be tolerated.
- When in the neighborhood around the church, we ask that the guests respect the neighbors.
- Guests must remain in the designated shelter areas of the building. Only volunteers and staff are allowed in the kitchen and other areas of the building unless asked by coordinators to assist.
- Please keep any items of value on your person at all times. The shelter is not responsible for lost or stolen articles.
- Lights out is at 10:15 PM. Quiet must be observed after this time.
- Wake up is at 6:00 AM, but may vary by each shelter site. Breakfast is usually between 6:30 and 7:30 AM. We ask that each guest make his bed and keep his area clean every day.
- Guests must leave by either 7:30 or 8:00 AM, as determined by the shelter site coordinator.
- Personal items that will not be needed during the day may be left next to the guests’ beds when they leave. When moving from one church to another (on Sundays), we can transport ONE issued tote per guest to the new church. Any item(s) left for more than 48 hours when the guest is no longer staying at the shelter will be considered abandoned and disposed of.
- Special moving day rules: The shelter moves from one church to another on Sunday morning. All guests are expected to help break down and load the trailer on Sunday morning. Failure to participate in the moving process may result in being asked to leave the shelter for a period of time. If you have a Night Out Pass on a Saturday night, we ask that, on Saturday morning, you break down your bed, pack up your bedding and then take your personal belongings with you when you leave. If you are not there to help load, or if items are left behind, they will not be loaded onto the truck and will be disposed of on Monday.
- We have a limit on how many men can be housed. You must be at the shelter every night or your bed will be given away and you will be placed on the waiting list.
- Guests are expected to assist with keeping the shelter areas clean. This includes assisting with clean up from meals.
- We usually have shower facilities available. For the health and comfort of everyone else, you are expected to use them on a regular basis. You will be asked to leave the shelter if you fail to maintain personal hygiene.
- Length of Stay – You will need to meet with an ATeam member within 7 nights to make your intentions known. This appointment will be scheduled within 48 hours of entry into the shelter. You are welcome to stay at the shelter for 30 nights per year. If you wish to stay longer, you must make an appointment to meet with an A-Team Member at the G.I.F.T.S. Resource Center. The Resource Center is located at 1025 North Washington Street in Janesville. Hours are Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm. You may stop by and make an appointment OR call 608-728-4941.
This rule sheet is given to all guests and covered in detail during the initial check-in. All situations not covered here are up to the SOLE discretion of the site coordinator at the church. Again, remember, the workers are just volunteers – treat them, and the other guests with respect.